The Suncorp Super Netball Competition Committee have confirmed that the extra time rule will be introduced for the 2021 season, while the Bonus Point will remain shelved.
The Suncorp Super Netball Competition Committee has confirmed that the extra time rule will be introduced for the upcoming 2021 season.
The extra time rule was originally announced for the 2020 season but put on hold due to player well-being concerns.
If the two teams are tied at the end of regulation match time, a 90-second break will be taken, and the match will then go into five minutes of extra time. If at the end of the five-minute period, the teams are tied, the match will be declared a draw.
The intricacies of the extra time rule include:
• Teams will not change ends at the end of the 4th quarter, and the centre pass will follow on
• If, at the end of the five-minute extra time period, one team is leading the other team, that team will be declared the winner
• If, at the end of the five-minute extra time period, the scores are tied, the match will be declared a draw and each team is awarded 2 points
• The Suncorp Super Shot extends into extra time for regular season and finals matches
• Teams will be permitted to make substitutions in the break before extra time commences. Normal injury and rolling substitutions can occur during extra time; however, no time outs (tactical) can be taken during the extra time period
If scores are still tied after the 5-minute period of extra time in an SSN Finals match, a visual signal will be placed on the official bench, as well as on screens around the court, to indicate that play will continue until one team leads by three points. There will be no break in play after the initial 5-minute period.
The Suncorp Super Shot and rolling-substitution rules will both return for the 2021 season after being successfully introduced last year.
The other rule change for the 2021 season is that the Bonus Point rule will be shelved for the foreseeable future.
First introduced for the 2018 Super Netball season, the Bonus Point allowed teams to earn premiership points by winning individual quarters of play, assisting in building fan engagement and excitement for as long as possible in a match, even if one team was trailing by a significant margin.
The 2021 Suncorp Super Netball season is due to begin on May 1, with Collingwood to host the Sunshine Coast Lightning at John Cain Arena for their Round 1 clash.